Choose an environmentally friendly deicer

Share on

by  Ludwig, Andrea Lorene

​As winter sets in across Tennessee, so too does the need to keep pedestrian paths clear of snow and ice.  Deicers and traction agents are used to achieve safe passage, but many commercially available products may be harmful to the environment and human health, especially if used incorrectly.  Studies have documented that up to 55 percent of deicing compounds are carried into waterways by stormwater runoff, while the remaining 45 percent infiltrates into the ground therefore affecting soils, impacting plant health, and potentially getting into groundwater. 

Read out this article for deicer options that will solve the ice problem while not causing other problems with your plants or soil health.