All graduate students must abide by the University of Tennessee Information Technology Policy, available at Failure to abide by these guidelines is grounds for loss of assistantship and/or dismissal from the graduate program.

The Department makes computers available to graduate students as necessary to support their research program. However, the Department does not provide a computer for each student, and sharing of computers is normally necessary. Specific computer requirements related to research activities should be discussed with the faculty member directing that research. Depending upon needs and resources available, computers may sometimes be provided specifically for support of a particular program. Because these needs and resources may differ among research projects within the Department, all students may not have equal access to computers.

Some research activities may require storage of large data files. A departmental server is available for storage of such files. Disk space on this server is allocated to each faculty member in the Department; the faculty member is then responsible for authorizing access to the disk and maintaining the information stored therein. Students needing access to such file storage should contact their major professor.

The College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources computer laboratory is located in Rooms 276 and 270 of the Biosystems Engineering & Soil Science Lab Building. It is available to undergraduate and graduate students for work related to their academic programs. Demand for this resource sometimes exceeds its availability, thus a priority list for access to the laboratory equipment is posted in the laboratory. Note that this is a college laboratory and is available for e-mail, access to the

Internet, course work (including printing of assignments, laboratory reports, etc), and other academic activities. It may also be used, on an “as available basis” for research related activities. However, it should not be used to print theses, manuscripts, and similar documents.

Theses, research-based manuscripts, and similar documents should normally be printed on BESS departmental printers, such as are provided in room 107 and elsewhere, but only after confirming with the major professor that printing the particular document is approved. Commonly acceptable uses of departmental printers are listed below:

  • Preliminary copies of a thesis or dissertation, such as would be distributed to a committee
  • One final copy of a thesis or dissertation, to be copied later at the students own expense
  • Preliminary copies of a research-based manuscript, for distribution to co-authors
  • “Final” copies of a research-based manuscript for distribution to internal reviewers
  • Final copies of research-based manuscript for submission to a peer-reviewed scientific journal

Students are encouraged to use electronic media, where appropriate, to communicate with their committee and with external peers. For example, in many cases, it is possible to circulate manuscripts in pdf format; check with the major professor or departmental computer support specialist for assistance in converting manuscripts to pdf format.

The major professor or department head may withdraw access to departmental printers, if the privilege has been abused. Abuse includes printing of non-research-related documents, or irresponsible printer use, such as reprinting entire large manuscripts when only a few pages needed revision.